On Your Side
Featured Issue: How to Avoid Mold and Moisture Problems
Moisture Damage Warning Signs In the Laundry Room
By definition, laundry rooms are warm and moist. Small wonder it's a prime location for moisture and mold problems. If you spot any of these warning signs, take steps to correct them.
What to Look for at Hose Connections
- Look for leaks - even tiny ones - at both ends of all water connections.
What to Look for at the Dryer
- Check to see if the dryer hose connection is loose - especially where it vents to the outside.
- Watch for too many turns or twists or in the dryer vent, which can prevent it from venting properly.
- Check to see if lint is collecting beneath or behind the dryer.
- Wire-wrapped hoses prevent hose failures much better than plain rubber ones and last a very long time. Don't forget to replace the hose washers, too!
- Use drain treatments in the utility sinks BEFORE a clog happens, as part of your periodic maintenance routine.
- When you vacuum the rest of the house, be sure to include the laundry room.
©2003 American Homeowners Association (AHA)®
Stamford, Connecticut 06905. All Rights Reserved.
| America's #1 Homeowner Organization Since 1994|