On Your Side
Featured Issue: How to Avoid Mold and Moisture Problems
Moisture Damage Warning Signs
In the Bathroom
Around the Toilet Look For:
- Leaks around the water line
- Signs of staining or mushiness in the flooring around the rim seal, which indicates a leak
Around All Plumbing Lines Watch For:
- Sounds of dripping in the wall
- Dampness on the walls in the bathroom or the adjoining room
- Leaks or dampness under the sink
- Go to the basement and inspect the ceiling directly under the bathtub for signs of slow leaks.
Around the Exhaust Fan Look For:
- Any signs that the fan has stopped working or has been disconnected
- Any signs of dampness on the walls around the fan
- If the fan doesn't currently come on automatically when entering the bathroom, consider having the wiring changed so that it will.
Around and In Showers and Bathtubs Look For
- Any signs of missing, warped or broken caulking around the bathtub
- Any cracked tiles or missing grout
- Any sign that water stands in tub after emptying
- Treat all bathroom drains regularly to prevent hair buildup and clogs.
©2003 American Homeowners Association (AHA)®
Stamford, Connecticut 06905. All Rights Reserved.
| America's #1 Homeowner Organization Since 1994|