On Your Side
Featured Issue: How to Avoid Mold and Moisture Problems
Moisture Damage Warning Signs
In the Kitchen
Moisture damage can begin in lots of areas of this high-use room!
Around and Under the Kitchen Sink Look For:
- A steady drip at the faucet or in the trap beneath the sink
- Broken or missing tiles around the sink
- An unsealed edge at the bottom of the back splash behind the sink
- Any dampness or stains on walls or cabinetry where plumbing pipes pass through
- Use a drain opener in the sink periodically even if it isn't backed up.
Around the Dishwasher Watch For:
- Water left in the dishwasher after its cycle, which suggests a possible clogged drain or main filter
- Signs that the dishwasher drain sometimes overflows into the sink, which indicates a possible clogged drain line
- A trickle of water beneath the dishwasher sometimes, that could mean there's a leaking water hose
- Check the vents and drains from the dishwasher.
- Replace hoses with braided hoses and new hose washers.
Under and Behind the Refrigerator Look For:
- Even a small leak from the icemaker supply line
- Vacuum the refrigerator coils periodically.
©2003 American Homeowners Association (AHA)®
Stamford, Connecticut 06905. All Rights Reserved.
| America's #1 Homeowner Organization Since 1994|