On Your Side
Featured Issue: How to Avoid Mold and Moisture Problems
Moisture Damage Warning Signs In the Attic
You may not go into the attic very often, but it's worth the trip because so many expensive water damage problems start at the roof!
Around the Attic Vents Look For:
- Any indications that the wood or insulation near the vents has been wet
- Any looseness in the vent hardware or attachment to the wall or roof
Around Recessed Lights Look For:
- Any sign of rust or corrosion around the canisters
- Any color differences or stains in the wood and insulation around the canisters
- Any signs of moisture or mold stains
At All Roof Penetrations Look For:
- Any signs of wetness or stains around the chimneys, plumbing vent pipes, skylights, radon vents
- A damp or musty odor
- Any indications of mold or rot
In the Insulation Batting Look For:
- Any areas that don't look fluffy and thick any longer
- Any signs that the insulation close to the eaves is less thick or puffy than it is near the middle?
In Attic HVAC Systems Look For:
Any signs that the drain pan is clogged
Any indications that ductwork insulation has come loose or has lost its tape
©2003 American Homeowners Association (AHA)®
Stamford, Connecticut 06905. All Rights Reserved.
| America's #1 Homeowner Organization Since 1994|