On Your Side
Featured Issue: How to Avoid Mold and Moisture Problems
Moisture Damage Warning Signs In the Utility Closet
A room that contains a water device, such as a water heater, deserves looking into regularly.
- Look for any signs of rust.
- Watch for tiny leaks, which are the early warning of an impending catastrophic tank failure.
- Be sure the floor around the tank is unstained and dry.
- Look at the valve, drain pan and pipe for signs of rust or staining.
- If your water heater is gas-fired, look for any signs that the exhaust vent and shield might be mal-functioning or out of position.