Top Ten Tips for Planning a Low-Stress
There’s no such thing as a stress-free move.
But planning ahead can make a huge difference. To ensure a smooth
transition, the American Homeowners Association has come up with
the ten most critical tips for making your move easier. Be sure
to keep them handy, and refer to them often, to make your Big
Day memorable for all the right reasons!
- Create a Master “To Do” List. Then mark your
calendar for each task on the list.
- Don’t Take Your Old Junk Along With You. Take this
opportunity to eliminate items you no longer need. Donating to
homeless shelters or other charities is one great option. Organizing
a garage sale is another.
- Finish Off Supplies That Don’t Travel Well. Good examples
would be your lawn mower gasoline or household cleaning supplies.
- Create a Master Moving Guide. Using a printed layout of
your new home, assign a number or color to each room. Then mark
all boxes accordingly.
- Schedule Those Last Few Local Appointments. Make your final
doctor, dentist and hair appointments shortly before you move.
This way, you won’t feel stressed about finding a new provider
while you’re still settling in.
- Notify Others of Your Address Change. Don’t forget
to fill out a change-of-address card at your local post office,
and to notify friends and creditors about the move.
- Keep Critical Documents Handy on Moving Day. Include your
master moving guide, mover’s contact info, and your address
- Create a “Survival Box” For Those First 24 Hours.
Don’t forget toiletries, light bulbs, linens and flashlights.
And keep the box with you, in case you arrive before the movers
- Don’t Underestimate the Importance of Finding the Right
Mover. That single choice will determine whether your treasured
belongings arrive on time, in good condition, and at the agreed
upon price. So start your search early, get at least 3 estimates,
and compare each mover'’s insurance coverage.
- Get the Help You Need. Let AHA help you to:
• identify the right mover
• find the cash to remodel right away
• get organized in your new home
• decorate like a pro, with AHA’s Top 10 Quick Tips
for Improving Your Home